Tuesday, August 24, 2010

8 days a week



Well here I am on Monday morning trying to think of what to say. Most of last week was spent trying to avoid the Woodward Dream Cruise. The Dream cruise is a 3-7 day rolling classic car show up and down Woodward Ave. in the suburbs of Detroit. By 3-7 day I mean that the event is only suppsed to be Friday, Saturday, Sunday but it has gotten so huge that it starts the weekend before now and goes all through the week. Don’t get me wrong, the dream cruise is a really cool event for car lovers but having lived on Woodward ave. for 5 years and 2 blocks away for 8, I have seen so many old and rare cars I hardly care now. “1956 Corvette?” Dime a dozen any more.  “1965 Mustang GT350KR?” wow, not impressed. On Friday I did happen to go to the street party put on by Ford Motor Co in dowtown Ferndale. There was a beatles tribute band playing and I could hear them in my backyard. After an hour or so of this I was humming the songs and decided I needed to go see it for myself.
  The band was decent and while listening to them I decided to go stand near Woodward and see a few of the cars drive by. Every time I say I cant be impressed by any of the cruisers, the cruisers prove me wrong. This Volkswagen bug has got to be one of the coolest cars I have every seen at the cruise. I cant imagine the time and effort involved to bring this peice of art to life but it really stood out among the rest.


   Now, the exercise week in review...
This week was really productive. For the week I ran 10 miles and cycled 17. I didn’t bike much because I am trying to turn running into a habit. I know I like to cycle, but I don’t always like to run so I feel I need to really work on this if I am going to get better.
A few things came together to get me running so much more this week:

A few things came together to get me running so much more this week:
1. my wife was working a lot of hours and I had free time
2. I made a promise to myself that I would improve my lazy attitude
3. I have two members on my Runkeeper “street team” now.
   I think the street team will really help improve my training. Every time I post a run to Runkeeper, my new friends will see it. Knowing that someone out there is going to see your daily miles, or lack thereof, can really be motivating.

   Do you have trouble motivating? Try creating a profile on one of the many fitness sites out there and find someone to motivate you. There are many sites out there to get you going, here are some of my favorites:


  I have been plying around with all three sites lately and haven’t decided which one I like best. Maybe next month ill have spent anough time on them to give a more complete review.
  If you join any of these sites your welcome to friend me. My username is Jollylama on all 3 of the sites. I would love to compare times and help motivate you as much as you’ll motivate me.





No comments:

Post a Comment